There are some simple ways to choose healthier options for coffee drinks when you are at your favorite cafe. One option is your milk choice, you can opt for the low fat versus the whole milk or opt for the milk alternative such as soy, almond, or coconut. You can choose either an americano or drip coffee without the milk and sugar to skip the calories. If you want to avoid the sugar, but not the flavor there are sugar free alternatives to the syrup or artificial sweeteners, such as stevia that are available. You can also take the healthy factor of your coffee up a notch by opting for cold brew coffee over regular drip or espresso. Read the benefits of cold brew coffee here.
At home, you have far more flexibility and creative options for creating your perfect coffee drink that is healthier than what you could at the cafe. Here are delicious options!
If you’re crazy for frozen coffee drinks, then this will definitely hit the spot. This easy homemade version uses frozen coffee cubes, almond milk, raw cacao and maple syrup for sweetening.
Why use raw cacao? The powder is made by cold-pressing unroasted cocoa beans, which retains the living enzymes in the cocoa and removes the fat cacao butter. While cocoa looks the same, sadly it’s not. Cocoa powder is raw cacao that has been roasted at high temperatures, which changes the molecular structure of the cocoa bean, reducing the enzyme content and lowering the overall nutritional value.
Prep time: 10 minutes
- 1 cup strong brewed organic coffee, cooled
- 1 cup almond milk (or coconut milk)
- 2 tbsp raw cacao (or unsweetened natural cocoa powder)
- 2 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1. Pour the cooled coffee into an ice cube tray and freeze until firm, at least 4 hours or overnight.
2. Combine the frozen coffee cubes, almond milk, raw cacao, maple syrup and vanilla in a blender until smooth.
3. Divide between two glasses and serve immediately.
Recipe: The Alternative Daily
"Bulletproof®" Your Coffee
- 1 cup of organic coffee
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil (or more, I usually put in 2-3 tablespoons)
- 1 Tablespoon organic grass-fed unsalted butter
- ¼ tsp vanilla
- a few drops of stevia extract (optional)
- Put all ingredients in a blender or food processor. Mix on high speed for 20 seconds until frothy. Drink immediately and enjoy all the energy!
Recipe: Wellness Mama
Breakfast Smoothie for Coffee-Lovers
Now get your breakfast and coffee all in one healthy, delicious, and satisfying smoothie!
- 1 cup cold-brew coffee
- 1 scoop chocolate protein powder
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 cup low-fat yogurt
- 1/2 avocado
- 5 ice cubes
- 1 1/2 teaspoons maple syrup
- Cacao nibs, optional garnish
- Combine all ingredients, and blend until smooth. Top with the optional cacao nibs if you like, and enjoy immediately!