weaverscoffee.com Papua New Guinea Coffee

Papua New Guinea Coffee

Regular price $ 24.95 Sale



Papua New Guinea Coffee Full-Bodied 

Papua New Guinea coffee is a Single Origin Coffee that is nurtured on the steep slopes of the Waghi Valley.  Full-bodied, sweet and delicate texture.  Savor subtle wine overtones and complex, date-like fruit flavors ending with a long, syrup finish.

Seriously cool people grow this coffee.

More Info

Papua New Guinea

Coffee was first introduced into Papua New Guinea in the late 19th century during British and German colonization. In the 1920s, Arabica coffee was introduced from Jamaican seed stock and became commercially viable during the 1950s.

Close to 95% of the coffee produced in Papua New Guinea is a washed Arabica coffee bean with the other 5% being low grown Robusta. 

Graphics Map of location of Papua New Guinea

 Graphics Courtesy of La Minita


Most of the coffee is grown in the highlands and an estimated 87,000 hectares are under cultivation, mostly produced by smallholder coffee farmers with under 2.5 hectares of coffee trees in their garden.

Papua New Guinea is noted for its mountainous terrain, cultural differences, and historical changes in the infrastructure. Since most of the coffees grown in the highlands, the lack of roads and infrastructure makes it difficult to move coffee from the remote farms to the market.


Map of Papua New Guinea

Map Courtesy of Google


Papua New Guinea coffees are often confused with Sumatra coffees but are vastly different in the cup. Most coffees from Papua New Guinea are wet-processed in contrast to the wet hulling of Indonesian coffees. The best coffees maintain good acidity, have a medium to full body and show clean fruit and floral notes.



The farmers of Papua New Guinea still live very traditional lives and these ancient tribal cultures still thrive in the mountains and valleys of the highlands. Agriculture was invented independently here, and many farmers now include coffee among the crops they grow. 

Fully washed, sundried and hand-sorted, this Papua New Guinea coffee goes through a three-day fermentation process broken up every 24 hours for washing. The Sigri process, unlike those of other estates, follows this up by totally immersing the bean in water for one more day, producing a superior coffee. Full, rich body with hints of spice and orange, and a clean refreshing finish.


Quick Facts

Multiple Smallholder Farms

Wahgi Valley, Western Highlands Province

1,500-1,600 meters

Harvest Months:
June- November

Bourbon, Typica, Arusha, Blue Mountain, Mundo Novo, Catimor, Caturra

Fully washed, with total immersion during the washing process

Discover this little-known, yet exquisite single-origin coffee. Occupying the eastern half of the island known as New Guinea in the Pacific Ocean, Papua New Guinea is one of the least explored regions in the world.

Seriously cool people grow this coffee.

Tasting Notes

Savor subtle wine overtones and complex, date-like fruit flavors ending with a long, syrup finish.